F.A.Q.s – Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Do I need to be a runner to participate?
A: Absolutely NOT! You can participate in the Color Run by walking, skipping or dancing through the paved walkway.
Q: What if I want to be a runner?
- A: No problem! There are free programs to help you get ready to RUN. Check out this site: Your 3 Step Plan to Run a 5K
Q: What if I am a runner?
A: Perfect! You can participate in our 5K. You will love our course. It’s on a well maintained, paved greenway that is 90% shaded with less than 40′ of total elevation change. The race will be timed and USATF sanctioned. There will be 1st, 2nd, & 3rd place awards for men and women race winners in each of the seven age brackets: 1-19, 20-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50-59, 60-69, and 70+.
Q: What if I want to participate in both the 5K and the Color Run?
- A: We would LOVE for you to participate in both. 5K runners will have the option of running through the color stations along the course. They will also have the option to avoid them. The 5K race will start 60 minutes before the Color Run begins. The color stations will be open and ready for our 5K runners.
Q: What is the difference between the Color Run and the 5K?
- A: The Color Run is a 1 mile course that is paved, very flat and shaded. It is perfect for runners or non-runners, seniors, and families with children. The Color Run is not timed and will be fun for all with great music and lots of color.
- The 5K is a USATF certified 3.1 mile course that is paved, very flat, and shaded. It is perfect for runners that would like to be timed, or anyone that would like to walk or run a longer distance. It will be just as fun, but also ideal for someone seeking a new 5K Personal Record.
Q: What do you mean by 'lots of color'?
A: Participants will start the event in their new white shirts they receive in their registration packets. By the end of the event, their new white shirts will be covered in color! Participates will receive one packet of color to toss at their leisure. They will also be going through a series of color stations on the 1 mile course. Between the individual packets of color and the color stations, there will be lots of color!
Q: Are the 5K and Color Runs timed?
A: The 5K is timed. The Color Run is not timed. All event attendees will have as much time as they need to complete either course
Q: Can I go for a Personal Record?
A: Yes! The 5K course will be USATF certified and timed. Results for the race will be available online after the race.
Q: What is included in my registration?
- A: Registration for the Color Run includes: an official 2016 Apple Bear 5K & Color Run t-shirt, race bib, one color packet, and one pair of colorful sunglasses.
- Registration for the 5K includes: an official 2016 Apple Bear 5K and Color Run t-shirt, race bib, one color packet, one pair of sunglasses, and access to post race results online.
Q: Is there a pick up event for the 5K and Color Run packets?
A: Yes! It will be held at Bruce Drysdale School from 3:00-5:00 Thursday, October 6th and at Patton Park from 3:00 to 7:00 PM on Friday, October 7th. Packets will also be available the morning of the event, Saturday, October 8th from 7:30 to 8:15 AM at Patton Park. We strongly encourage people to pick up their packets on Thursday or Friday.
Q: What are color packets? Are they safe?
- A: The color packets are full of colored powder. The powder is certified non-toxic and free of any heavy metals. The bright colors are a combination of corn starch, baking soda, & FD&C dyes. As with any powdered substance, you will want to keep it out of your eyes. Our color station volunteers will make sure to aim below the head as participants pass by. Participants will receive a pair of colorful sunglasses with their registration. These sunglasses will help protect eyes.
Q: Can I buy extra color packets?
A: Yes! They will be available to purchase at the event for a nominal cost.
Q: How is the color administered along the course?
- A: Volunteers with smiling faces along the course will be happily dousing participants in colorful powder. You will look like you ran through a beautiful rainbow by the time you cross the finish line!
Q: Will the color ruin clothes or running shoes?
A: The color does mostly wash out after the event. As with anything dirty, the sooner you wash, the better. We suggest wearing items that you wouldn’t mind getting colorful. If you would like to preserve the color in your shirt, spray it with vinegar and iron it. If you wash your shirt, the color will eventually come out, but washing in cold water will help preserve the colors. Their are numerous cleaning ideas and tips available on the internet.
Q: Can I run with a jogging stroller and my kids?
A: Yes! This is an event to benefit children. We want to see your kids at this event! All children ages 3 and under can participate with an adult FREE of charge. Children 0-3 do not get the race packet that includes the t-shirt, color packet and sunglasses. These items will be available to purchase at the event.
Q: Can I run with my dog?
A: No, and we are sorry! It is for the safety of our participants. Only registered service dogs will be able to participate.
Q: Can spectators attend?
A: Absolutely! We will have color packets available first come/first serve for everyone to purchase.
Q: Are cameras and phones safe to have in the color zones?
A: If you want to get shots right in the middle of the color stations, we recommend covering cameras and phones with plastic wrap.
Q: What if I have an ADA need?
A: We welcome participants of all abilities! If you have an ADA need, please contact us HERE. We will accommodate you!
Q: What happens if there is bad weather?
- A: A little rain will not stop us! It makes the color a little brighter. If there are major weather warnings that could affect the safety of participants, please check our web site for updates.
Q: Does this 5K and Color Run benefit anyone?
A: Yes! Proceeds will benefit the children at Bruce Drysdale Elementary School in downtown Hendersonville, NC. Last year’s proceeds helped complete a new playground and this year’s event will hopefully help fund much needed supplies, including software, computers, audio/video equipment, and robotics kits. We love our BearKittens at Bruce Drysdale School!
Q: I still have a question! Who do I ask?
A: Contact us HERE with any questions.
Want to know more?
Find out more about the annual Applebear 5K Race and Color Run.